Thursday, July 13, 2006

I'm a Quitter and kind of proud of it

Way back when I first started posting to this blog regularly, I reporting on my success at quitting smoking. Well, I talked about it a few times, then dropped the subject because I started smoking again.

Well, I've done it again -- quit smoking. This time I did it on my own little program. I used a self-hypnosis tape, a few nicotine patches and some breath mints. Last time I quit, I had relied on the patches, which I became allergic too. I got hives and it was horrible. This time I used a couple of full patches and then started cutting them down -- downing my dosage. It worked pretty well --- no hives this time.

The cravings come at the oddest times. When that happens I take a couple of deep breaths and get on my way. Sometimes I suck on a breath mint to occupy myself a bit.

Here's a peek at my progress to far.....

---2w 1d 19:17 smoke-free, 320 cigs not smoked, $72.00 saved, 1d 2:40 life saved

I have a little program called QuitTime which tracks my progress. It displays on my computer all the time which gives me a little boost while I work. So, in the midst of my little funk, I have done something right -- hopefully it is the beginning of more good stuff.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger ms. purity said...

I've been trying to quit on and off for some years as well. Here's a little something that always helped me in my mines of need. Hope it helps you.

When Smokers Quit – What Are the Benefits Over Time?

20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate drops.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, pp. 39, 202)

12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp.193,194,196,285,323)

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. vi, 131, 148, 152, 155, 164,166)

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger ms. purity said...

just a question: what self-hynosis cd are you using. i had one...but it sucked!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home