Thursday, June 01, 2006

Who Moved my Blackberry


As a corporate librarian for a couple of large corporations, I know a bit about the language of corporate marketing BS and the workings of executive politics. On a fairly routine basis employees receive memos relating great corporate projects to re-brand or re-size ourselves to greatness. After a couple of years you take it all with a grain of salt. Though the language of these missives can be painful -- filled with poor word usage like learnings (for lessons) and trainings (for classes).

So, when this book showed up on my doorstep --- literally. I dove right in. It's a quick read. Lucy Kellaway takes you through a year in the life of Martin Lukes via his e-mails. Martin is an ambitious guy who has employed a 'virtual coach' named Pandora to move him ahead in work and life. Martin's goals of 22.5% better than his best and receiving an "A" grade push the drama ahead, as does his office affair and hostile son. The satire is fantastic, especially its portrayal of American and British management styles.

I am a bit mystifyed as to why this book came to my doorstep. I didn't buy it and I don't remember signing up for a free copy on their website. My favorite publishing friends deny sending it. So how did it come my way? Maybe it's a bit of viral marketing or, more likely, did request it and my 41-year old mind forget. Anyway, this is a fun book -- I recommend it.

Signing off in Martin Lukes fashion --- All my bestest......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home