Monday, June 12, 2006

My Personal Library


I love buying books, owning them, reading them and lending them out. Though I'm a librarian, I am not comfortable borrowing books from libraries, especially with returning them on time -- I should feel like a traitor. It's just that I work on my own timetable and I like to manhandle my books on occasion. Also, when I have found a library book that I love, I end up going out and buying it -- or at least think about it.

There are lots of books around my house, I don't know how many. I tend to buy or get books a couple at a time. My books are not arranged as well as I would like, but I generally keep all the non-fiction in the office or living room and reserve my bedroom for fiction. I've read about 50% of the books I own. I'm constantly trying to catch-up on my reading, but I sabotage myself by buying more books.

I found this great resource, called Library Thing, on the net that allows you to catalog your books. It's a really streamlined cataloging system. It's a community of readers who catalog, review and rate all kinds of books -- over 3 million books since last year. You can add tags (little descriptions) to your entries, as well as write your own reviews. My library is public, so please take a look. So far I have added the books I have read over the last 3 years -- I haven't even scratched the surface.
I added a permanent link to my library over there on the side with the rest of my recommended blogs.

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger ms. purity said...

Great link! Being the bookwork I am, I will be sure to utilize it!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what I actually own. Because I am more apt to buy new then to look around the house. I really need to apply the "Want what you Have" motto over the "Have what you Want" philosophy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home